Kurt Vonnegut has helpfully recorded much of our known information about the inhabitants of the planet Tralfamadore (aka Tralfamador) in his books The Sirens of Titan, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Slaughterhouse-Five, Hocus Pocus and Timequake. Additional information can be culled from "The Protocols of the Elders of Tralfamadore" (serialised in The Black Garterbelt). Here are some things you probably didn't know about Tralfamadore:
- The Great Wall of China, seen through a telescope from outer space, reads "Don't worry! Help is on it's way." in Tralfamadorian.
- The meaning of a period "." in Tralfamadorian is "Greetings.".
- The name of the planet Tralfamadore in Tralfamadorian translates as both "all of us" and the number 541.
- Tralfamadore is 446,120,000,000,000,000 miles away from Earth.
- The atmosphere of Tralfamadore is pure cyanide.
- There are five sexes on Tralfamadore, each of them performing a step necessary in the creation of a new individual.
- Tralfamadorians are two feet high, green and shaped like plumbers' friends, with the suction cups on the ground and the shafts pointing skywards. At the top of the shaft is a little hand with a green eye in its palm.
- Tralfamadorians can see in four dimensions.
- Tralfamadorians know how the universe ends (for info, it happens because of the accidental manoeuvre of a Tralfamadorian test pilot). They believe that you can't change the past,the present or the future since all moments in time already exist.
- Tralfamadorians have the ability to look at any moment in time that interests them and ignore the bad times to concentrate on the good ones.
- When Tralfamadorians sees a corpse, all that they think is that the dead person is in a bad condition in that particular moment, but the same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Their normal response when talking about dead people is to say "So it goes." A person who dies is still very much alive in the past to them.