In the absence of the opportunity to ski and snowboard so far this year I put together a list of songs with some vague association with winter sports.
The top 10 are:
- Doors: Riders on the Storm
- Moby: Extreme Ways
- David Bowie: Station to Station
- Cream: White Room
- Foreigner: Cold as Ice
- Led Zeppelin: Misty Mountain Hop
- Scooter: J’Adore Hardcore (soundtrack to great ski video)
- Of Monsters and Men: Mountain Sound
- Fleet Foxes: White Winter Hymnal
- Sufer Koe and the Surfaris: Wipe Out
The spotify playlist is here.
Other songs that could have made it but didn’t include:
Kanye West: Coldest Winter
John Denver: Rocky Mountain High
Janes Addiction: Mountain Song
Moutain: Nantucket Sleighride
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow
Wham: Last Christmas
Nina: Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?”
Darlene Love: Winter Wonderland
The Nina song is a bit twee but did feature in James Bond’s OHMSS, which also featured the ski chase off the Schilthorn above Mürren. The video for the Wham song was filmed in Saas-Fee. Rocky Mountain High is the official state song of Colorado which, as both the cannabis capital of the world and the home of some of the world’s most awesome skiing is pretty appropriate. My most recent US ski trip is featured here.